There is also a museum of archeology and fine arts, the museum contains objects of great value from the stone age to the renaissance. Located at the Plaza de San Marcos, next to the bridge of the same name over the river Bernesga. 1208AB
The hotel was once an ancient convent that was used as a hospital in order to lodge the pilgrims who were on their way to santiago de Compostela. Its construction began around 1515 on this monumental building, which features a Spanish Plateresque facade.
They are divided into three groups, those which are found in the main part and in the towers, those which have been called the 'cells', which are also located in the older part of the building, and a third group of a more modern addition.
It was reconstructed and adapted for use as one of Spain's most luxurious paradors.
The leonese regional cooking has many specialities, among them trout, garlic soups, frog's legs from La Baneza, breaded and served in a spicy sauce, the 'Chanfaina' sausage, octopus and breaded cabbage.
The hotel has a magnificent main hall with a 16th century coffered ceiling. The parador can be considered as am authentic museum in view of the ancient carpets, furniture, paintings, clocks and tapestries that adorn the different rooms.